||Head of Field Unit
The position is under direct supervision and guidance of the Representative/Head of Sub/Field-Office on issues concerning programme, protection, external relations, etc. Advice and operational support may also be received from other senior staff and support units at the Branch Office and from the Bureau at Headquarters.
The incumbent represents UNHCR at the field level. S/he will persuade and obtain assistance of others on matters of non-routine significance. Contacts predominantly with persons on subject matters of importance to Organization’s programmes (e.g. counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments).
While the functional responsibility of a Head of Field Unit will remain the same despite its grade level, the other parameters (therefore the depth and breadth of the competencies) such as the size of the population of concern to UNHCR, their specific legal/security concerns, volume of assistance, number of operational / Implementing partners and the size of the Office (i.e. number of UNHCR staff and their grade levels) will determine the appropriate grade level. The operational autonomy also depends upon the same parameters/competencies. The Field Unit managed by the incumbent has no other professional position and less than 6 General Service positions. The supervisor exercises substantive oversight and provides regular guidance, direction and support to the incumbent.
- The Convention concerning the treatment of asylum seekers, IDPs, refugees, returnees and the stateless, where applicable, is disseminated to the local authorities.
- UNHCR policies and standards are applied consistently in the Area of Responsibility (AOR) to ensure quality protection of populations of concern.
- A healthy, safe and respectful working environment is provided to the workforce in the AOR.
- Monitor and report on the implementation of refugee conventional responsibilities and international obligations of the local authorities vis-à-vis the population of concern to UNHCR within the AOR.
- Advocate and promote UNHCR standards concerning the treatment of persons of concern.
- Ensure that the basic needs of the concerned population are properly assessed with the participation of the beneficiaries themselves, the host governments and/or the competent Implementing partners and/or UNHCR itself.
- Subject to the needs, ensure that the planning, formulation and budgeting of identified assistance projects are done as per UNHCR programme cycle; upon approval of assistance project, ensure the timely implementation and monitoring of identified assistance activities.
- Ensure through the subordinate staff that all deadlines for monitoring and reporting of UNHCR operational activities are met on a regular basis.
- Manage all UNHCR resources, both human, financial/material, at an optimum level for the wellbeing of the concerned population and the UNHCR staff
- Ensure that all security measures of UNHCR office (and residential, where ever applicable) compounds are always up to date; any security breaches and/or potential security threat should be reported immediately to competent UN security coordinator in the country
- Ensure that staff welfare, both in terms of working and living conditions, are maintained at a satisfactory level within the constraints in the operational area
- Guide, coach and advocate the subordinate staff to maintain highest standards of conduct and behaviour thorough one’s own practice and deeds.
- Prepare and submit regular reports, both verbally and written, to the UNHCR Representative/HoSO. In the event of substantial telephone conversation that leads to specific action or non-action, it should be recorded and share with the other party.
- Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the UNHCR Representative of the country in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
- Represent UNHCR in inter-agency fora and with local authorities in the AOR.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR’s global protection, programme, finance, human resources and security policies and standards.
- Submit project proposals for assistance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR Representation or Sub-Office in coordination with local authorities and NGOs
|Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Business Administration, Management, Law, Political Science, International Relations, Economics or a related field plus minimum 1 year of previous work experience relevant to the function. Knowledge of UNHCR mandate and its Field level application.
- Applied knowledge of protection principles, operational arrangements/standards in relation to protection, assistance, UNHCR office management and staff administration.
- Basic computer skills and working knowledge in MS office software.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
***For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
|Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Working experience in UNHCR.
- UNHCR Specific learning/training activities (i.e. Learning Programme in Management & Operations).
- Proficiency of the language(s) that are used within the AOR.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Managing Performance
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Political Awareness