Under the overall supervision of a (Senior) Regional ICT Officer, the ICT Associate provides reliable and timely ICT services on the application and infrastructure of UNHCR standard ICT services in the Area of Responsibility (AoR). S/he receives technical guidance from Senior Regional ICT Officer or Regional ICT Officer responsible for the Telecom/IT infrastructure in the region in which the field or emergency operation exists. In offices where there is no (Regional) ICT Officer, direct supervision may be exercised by the (Snr) Admin Officer as applicable in the duty station.
- Assist in on-site needs assessment and installation and maintenance of UNHCR Telecommunications and IT equipment.
- In consultation with the Senior Regional ICT officer, establish the ICT requirements in field operations, taking into account the overall IT and Telecom strategy of the region, the operational needs and the security constraints.
- Install and configure the most appropriate type of UNHCR IT and Telecommunications systems (HF, VHF, UHF, Microwave Links, Telephony, and satellite systems) to meet the field and emergency operations immediate ICT needs.
- Ensure that the equipment under his/her responsibility is in good working condition, by inspecting regularly the hardware and installations. If required, arrange promptly repairs or replacement as necessary according to established procedures.
- Maintain records of the installations and repairs/replacements done and keep the Regional ICT officer fully informed on the status of the equipment.
- Provide each office, where equipment is installed, with full information for their asset management records.
- If applicable, keep a proper inventory level of all sites spares and return spare parts for repair/replacement.
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Printers, LAN points, Hubs, Patch pane, etc. to prevent faults occurring.
- Add or remove users from the Network.
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate records of users and usage of the Network.
- Carry out minor hardware maintenance.
- Provide Technical Briefing/Training on the equipment to local ICT resources and users, including IPs, ensuring that they are able to maintain/use the equipment.
- Assist in the development and configuration of IT and Telecom Equipment/Kits used in field operations and emergencies.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Completion of Secondary School or equivalent technical school with formal training and certification on relevant ICT related fields.
- Minimum 6 years of job experience relevant to the function or particularly on HF/VHF radio or IT systems, PAMA satellite systems, PABX, Cisco routers and satellite modems.
- Knowledge of computer application packages such as MS Office.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language and/or local language.
(In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of UN working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
- Knowledge of other UN languages.
- Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset.
- Previous experience in Emergencies is an advantage.
- Training experience.