||Protection Associate - Readvertisement
The Protection Associate normally reports tothe Protection Officer or the Senior Protection Officer. Theincumbent monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practicesin protection delivery in line with international standards and providesfunctional protection support to information management and programme staff.
The Protection Associate is expected tocoordinate quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs ofpopulations of concern (PoC) and identify opportunities to mainstreamprotection methodologies and integrate protection safeguards in operationalresponses in all sectors. S/hecontributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and liaisesexternally with authorities and partners on protection doctrine and policy asguided by the supervisor.
The Protection Associate also ensures that PoCare involved in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing theirrights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achievethis, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces withcommunities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistancepartners.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to PoC.
- Provide advice on protection issues to PoC; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Assist in conducting eligibility and status determination for PoC.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Manage individual protection cases including those on SGBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for the largest possible number of PoC through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Facilitate effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on PoC and their problems.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures.
- Assist the supervisor in prioritizing PoC for interview, counselling and propose protection support for individual cases.
- Assist the supervisor with enforcing compliance of local implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Assit the supervisor with enforcing compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
- Submit individual payments request for PoC for approval.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Prioritize persons of concern for interview, counselling and propose protection support for individual cases.
- Enforce compliance of local implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
- Submit individual payments request for persons of concern for approval.
|Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Education: High school Diploma. Additional certificate/training in International Law, Political Science or related field is required.
- Job experience: Relevant to the function: 6 years.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
|Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Good computer skills.
- Protection & Solutions Awareness
- Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators
- Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
General Service/ National Officer Staff members currently serving in the country where the vacancy exists, who have been appointed through the AC process and have indefinite or Fixed Term appointment. Interested staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (PPAL).
must be legally present in Mexico at the time of application, recruitment and hire. Mexican citizenship or permanent residency in Mexico is needed.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your application on http://mexico.unhcr.io/land.php by 29 March 2020
Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a test. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
Si usted desea ser considerado para esta vacante, favor enviar su aplicación http://mexico.unhcr.io/land.php a más tardar el 29 de marzo de 2020.