||Snr. Communication with Communities Assistant
UNHCR’s mandate is to provide International Protection and seek durable solutions for refugees and stateless persons.
During the last years, UNHCR has identified an increase in the number of asylum seekers from North Central America and Venezuela. One of the main challenges for the protection of refugees in Latin America continues to be the lack of information on the right to request the refugee status, how to access the procedure, knowledge of the rights and duties, as well as information for the local integration in the country of asylum and the institutions that may be supportive throughout the process. UNHCR works in close coordination with Government authorities, civil society organizations and other stakeholders to strengthen communication efforts made in benefit of refugees and asylum seekers.
To face this challenge, UNHCR through the communication with communities plan (responsible of the communication efforts towards refugees, including those who identify themselves as migrants), implements a communication strategy which incorporates different channels to facilitate the access to information, both, at field level and digitally. One of the most relevant efforts, is the work conducted with the civil society, as staff working at the shelters and spaces where legal and psychological assistance is offered, have direct and continuous contact with refugees and migrants. UNHCR works in coordination with them to ensure that they have the necessary tools to provide information and guidance.
Communication efforts with communities are carried out with the participation of asylum seekers and refugees and take into consideration the hosting community.
- UNHCR’s mass communication programme is guided by a robust strategy to provide quality protection for all populations of concern.
- Refugee communities are regularly updated about key messages and information to ensure a decent quality of life in Mexico.
- The participation of persons of concern is facilitated through supporting participatory, rights and community-based approaches.
- Support the development and implementation of mass communication strategy to refugee and host communities.
- Assist in the development of key messages to refugee communities; create clear designs to communicate those messages and ensure their proper dissemination.
- Identify channels and tools for conveying messages taking into consideration the educational, linguistic and cultural profile of the target audiences.
- Aid in the production of information videos and podcasts to refugee communities in Mexico.
- Update the online knowledge database to reflect the most frequently asked questions by the refugee communities.
- Maintain a database of all information materials targeted at refugees within the office; and ensure its regular update and dissemination to relevant refugee communities.
- Support the implementation of campaigns aimed at informing, educating or sensitising refugees on a variety of issues identified in close cooperation with Protection, Community Services and Field.
- Support the coordination of UNHCR’s monthly working group on communication with communities, maintain participatory discussions and updates of UNHCR and partners’ information on available services and assistance with the existing refugee outreach mechanisms.
- Perform other duties as required
- Liaise with external partners and local organizations on behalf of UNHCR.
- Produce reports and briefings for internal and external partners.
- Coordinate with the Communication with communities national team.
|Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of Secondary education with certificate/training in Communications, Media, Public Relations or related fields.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience. At least 6 months of experience in communications on the social arena (human rights, civil society or related field).
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of media production, graphic design, and dissemination techniques and methods (oral, visual, social media and printed).
- Computer skills and other applications relevant for the job.
- Proven skills to write and edit texts
- Good knowledge of English.
|Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Familiarity with global protection and assistance programmes of UNHCR.
- Experience in working with other UN organizations, NGOs or humanitarian field.
- Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese will be considered an asset
- Innovation and creativity
- Political Awareness
- Innovation and Creativity